DURRIDGE’s RAD7 calibration service includes a check up of the condition of the instrument, routine maintenance and adjustment of any parameters necessary to bring it up to full specs. We need the RAD7 in house for one week, so the total time a RAD7 will be outside your facility will be one week plus the time the RAD7 spends in transit. You can send it anytime to our address, listed below. If additional service is required, this may delay the return of the instrument. The U.S. EPA recommends that continuous radon monitors such as the RAD7 be calibrated at least once per year, and DURRIDGE agrees.
DURRIDGE maintains radon calibration facilities in the USA and the UK. Each facility includes a controlled, standard source of radon gas. All RAD7 testing, calibration, and quality assurance is conducted at the DURRIDGE offices. We determine calibration factors by direct comparison to “master” RAD7s, which were themselves compared with EPA and DOE instruments, and which have participated in international inter-comparisons of radon instrumentation. The calibration accuracy is independently verified by direct determination of the radon chamber level from the calibrated activity and emission of a standard radon source. In addition, we regularly inter-compare with other radon chambers. We achieve a reproducibility of better than 2% with our standard RAD7 calibration. Overall calibration accuracy is better than ±5%.
Please contact us for RAD7 calibration pricing. Shipping instructions are provided below.
1. We recommend that you arrange for your RAD7 servicing ahead of time, to avoid possible delays. When sending your RAD7, please send the instrument only, without the cables and accessories, unless they are relevant to the work required. Pack the instrument upright in a box with one-inch padding all round. A 14″ cube box is suitable. Pack the box well, and seal it carefully.
2. International customers should be careful to prepare for the instrument’s shipment to the nearest calibration facility, and its subsequent return. There needs to be documentation proving that the instrument was previously imported into your country, otherwise you may be charged import duties for the return shipment. Please fill out the declaration form provided below. Attach the completed declaration form to the commercial invoice. If the invoice is scanned and submitted electronically, please scan the declaration form and submit it electronically as well. You can declare and insure the instrument for USD $2,490. Please use the HS code 9801.00.1012. Please use the following description for RAD7: “RAD7 Electronic Radon Detector, not medical device.”
We suggest shipping via UPS or FEDEX. Please make sure the carrier will deliver the package to our door. We regret that we cannot be responsible for import duties, or for delivery charges incurred to our facilities either in the UK or USA.
3. We have had some problems with TNT, DHL and other special freight forwarding companies charging for clearing RAD7s through US customs. We have therefore been warning clients to avoid those two carriers and other special forwarding companies or be prepared to pay additional costs for shipping – possibly as much as $400 additional or more. So please be warned.
4. If you are in the European Union, or it is otherwise easier and more cost-effective, please return your RAD7 to our UK office. Otherwise, please ship to our USA office. The office addresses are as follows.
DURRIDGE Company, Inc.
524 Boston Road
Billerica, MA 01821-2812, USA
Phone: (978) 667-9556
Fax: (978) 667-9557
DURRIDGE UK Ltd.
Sheffield Technology Park
Sheffield S1 2NS, UK
Phone: +44 (0)114 221 2003
5. CONTROLLED SHIPMENT method: We strongly suggest that you arrange for a “CONTROLLED SHIPMENT”. This means that your shipment will be delivered to us without incurring USA (and potentially UK) import customs and duty charges, and then it will be returned to you. It costs just a little more, but avoids import charges at both ends.
6. If you must ship to us some other way (via a freight forwarder, etc.), please specify that the shipment is sent “DDP”, which is the formal “INCOTERM” for “Delivered Duty Paid.” That means delivery to our door, with ALL charges paid. Unless you instruct us otherwise, we will return your RAD7 via the same shipping method you used to get it to us, freight collect. DURRIDGE can pay for the return shipment CPT (“Carriage Paid To”) to you, but our cost will be invoiced to you before shipment.
It is important to make sure you prepare all the documentation you need to re-import the goods without being charged. Please write only in English on the commercial invoice. Please state on the invoice that the instrument is MADE IN USA and that it is being returned to the manufacturer for repair and recalibration. Also please mark the box with the serial number of the RAD7 as the RMA. You should also add our phone number as listed above, in case the customs office wants to call us.